Friday, May 16, 2008

Narnia Opening - The Misadventure

Last night I ventured out (with my kids) to a downtown midnight opening of the new Narnia movie, Prince Caspian. It turned out to be a series of bad decisions on my part.

Bad decision number one: I should have gone to Meridian to watch it. Why? Lots of my friends were going to be there. In Boise, I found only one friend to talk to before the movie. I forgot to have my parking garage ticket validated, and it cost me six bucks to park in addition to the full price for the movie. It would have more than paid for the gas to Meridian.

Bad decision number two: The parking garage that we wanted was closed for construction, and we got stuck on the second floor of a different garage. It was so full, even at 3 a.m., that we were sucking exhaust for 20 minutes before we could get out of it.

Bad decision number three: As we sat and talked pre-movie, I noticed some obnoxious high schoolers behind us. I made the ridiculous assumption that this would not matter once the movie started. One young man talked for the entire length of the movie. We should have moved before, or even during the movie.

Bad decision number four: After one of our number personally confronted this young man, without response, I gave him the Mother Look. So did the Other Mother.

Bad decision number five: I went to get the manager too late. By the time that I had totally had it, the manager could not be found. I came up with two non-English speaking janitors who could not locate the manager. They were not willing to slit his throat until after the end of the movie, which I deemed a pointless risk, so I reluctantly advised them to go back to cleaning the lobby, a more stable job than contract killing.

Bad decision number six: I decided to relax and enjoy the last twenty minutes of the movie. Near the end of the movie, there is a huge departure from the actual book by C.S. Lewis. This ordinarily would be of no consequence whatsoever to me because I have not read all of the books in the series. (Please do not send hate mail. I actually own the books; I just haven't read them all...yet. I own lots of Lewis' books. For some of you, this is sacrilege; I know. I have only read the first one.) Unbeknownst to me, two girls about 12 and 14, who sat to my immediate right, had decided weeks earlier to come in full costume (this movie has a cult following, remember), and to defend the integrity of the original manuscript. When the movie took an abrupt left turn from the book, they stood together with swords high in the air and screamed, "Stick to the book." I admire their mettle, but it was a little unnerving.

Bad decision number seven: Wednesday night, I only slept for four hours. Thursday night, I only slept for about four hours. I got to sleep about 4 a.m., and the phone got me up at 7:59 a.m. Thank you, Federal Express. After work today, I had such an incredible head ache that I could not sleep. I am thankful for Ibuprofen. Aimee just got home. She did the same not sleeping routine for two nights and also has the same head ache. When will I learn? Probably, I won't. Things like movie openings only happen ONCE. Carpe diem, everyone!

Aside from all of that, I liked this movie much more than the first one. I won't tell you about it because I do not want to ruin it for you.

No comments: